Renewing My Mind

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Pooter

Ah, family. There are few people that we feel comfortable enough to poot in front of...or at least admit it was us. Chris and I just finished a marathon round of time with our families here in North Carolina for Christmas. As I reflect back on these two weeks I realize there is one common denominator with all the family...lots of pooting. And I won't name names on who is the winner of us all - you know who you are.
It does make me realize how comfortable love allows us to be. I know it's strange, but there is something reassuring and wonderful about being about to talk and laugh about your bodily functions knowing you will not be judged. Isn't it a monumental point in a new relationship when you are able to be that comfortable with each other? I don't think it is the actual act that brings you so close (usually it makes you move further apart), but the reality that you can be true to yourself...live who you are with someone who loves you. And isn't that what life is all about? Learning to truly live out who you are with those around you...somehow learning to let Christ live through you while still being the person you were created to be.
We had a renewing and excellent time with our families. Chris' parents were able to be here for a week before Christmas and experience our Christmas Eve service with us. Then my parents, sister and her boyfriend, Jed, came the week after Christmas. We even spent two days skiing at Winterplace, about 2 hours away. After they all left and the house was quiet, I was really sad. I love my family and feel I grieve a little bit every time we part. I even felt sad for my friends who also had to part from their family at the end of the Christmas season and especially for those whose loved ones have departed eternally. Yet, I feel there is some kind of lesson in all of this: my grief at saying good-bye to loved ones, which comes at the end of our Christmas break - occurring at the same time as the celebration of the wise men finding Christ in the Epiphany, a seldom celebrated service in our American churches. Doesn't it seem fitting that I had to say good-bye to such a great experience, and the wise men eventually had to walk away from the greatest experience of their lives as well? There is comfort that God does not leave us to experience life all by ourselves - rather we experience it over and over again, together.
On a separate note, I saw the movie Chronicles of Narnia and have to recommend it to you. I was very skeptical of watching it - I didn't want Disney to interpret for me what my mind had already created from C.S. Lewis' words. But I was impressed with the accuracy of the script and the power of this film. I truly understood the lion's sacrifice for the traitor and felt it brought Christmas in a much clearer view.
Well, enough rambling for tonight. I hope you have those in your life with whom you can poot. You're always welcome at my house!

1 Comments:

  • At 6:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Natalie,

    That is so funny you wrote about this! I always give Jeff a hard time about his family committing this act so openly. It still catches me off guard. We have R&S coming this weekend so we will see what happens :) Hope you are well, I miss you guys!

    Pam

     

Post a Comment

<< Home