Renewing My Mind

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

That Darn Bone

Warning: this blog is not insightful. Please have a laugh at my expense.

The day from hell, otherwise titled My own cluster****

1. I ended my work day a little peeved. I worked until 5:30, which is important later. Also important to say that Chris was at my office all day in a youth ministers meeting w/one of the coordinators. We saw each other about 3 times. We did not realize this would be important until about 6:45 tonight.
2. I stopped to get gas on the way home b/c I was going to have to walk home if I didn't. Picked a random place I hadn't been before and quickly decided on Shell on the right instead of Chevron on the left b/c there was a guy riding my bumper as I exited. The height of the gas pumps confused me (it was extra tall...had to stand on tippytoes to reach credit card slot) and caused me to not pay attention when I grabbed what I thought was the low octane pump. As I was filling I thought, wow, when did gas go up to $3.19??? Then I realized they sneakily put the low grade in the middle instead of on the end, and it was $2.99, so I was paying 20 cents more! Then looked across the street and saw that gas at Chevron was 2cents cheaper there! Then realized I got the slowest pump ever b/c the guy across from me filled up and had his passengers come out w/food before I was halfway through. I didn't fill my tank all the way as to not reward Shell for their sneakiness. This may be a mistake down the road as I end up wasting about 1/4 of a tank of this expensive gas later about 7:15 tonight.
3. After arriving in Mount Airy, I went to the drug store. I spent about 15 min in the parking lot of the drug store finishing my conversation with Chris. This is important for two reasons: A. I will end up needing those minutes later and can't get them back. B. Chris and I were talking on the phone instead of in person b/c though he is normal at church on a Wed night (which would make him very close to me), tonight he is an hour and half away at a funeral visitation for one of our church member's brothers (which makes him very far away). I was telling him about point #1 and 2 above.
4. Once inside said drug store to buy birth control pills that must be taken on Sunday, I have a lengthy conversation w/the pharmacist about why I will not be walking out of store with pills. The short version is that my insurance didn't want to give them to me last month b/c I requested them 2 days too early so I had to order them from Tyler when I was visiting in July and now my NC store can't get the prescription w/o calling Tyler. Since I didn't have the number w/me and I will be in Tyler tomorrow night, I'm going to get it filled there. Still a hassle though! I waste about 30 valuable minutes here coming out empty handed and will still have to deal with it all tomorrow and Friday in Tyler.
5. Leaving drug store, I call my mom to explain point #4 and get Tyler phone number and drive into my driveway. As we are on the phone I try to walk into my house and realize Chris has locked the garage door (which he never does...he even forgets at night sometimes). No problem, I'll just use my house key. Then I struggle to find said key. Oh, wait, we gave it to the landlord to get into the house while we were out of town b/c he would need to check on roof leak from a month ago. And everything feels a little more urgent b/c now I have to pee. Thankfully Chris is not w/the family at the funeral parlor yet, so I can talk to him on the phone (but he did end up in an eternal line that will not bring him home until about 10 pm tonight. ) But he does have landlord's phone number!
6. Yeah! Landlord is not out of town (which he often is) and can probably get me a key, but he's just sat down to dinner with his wife for her birthday and the key is at their office (now I'm wishing I had those 45 min back from point #3 and 4), and it will be an hour before he can get to the office to get key.
7. After a few tears are shed at my frustration, I decide I need to eat b/c it's now 7:00. So I go to local Quiznos to get salad and run into prospective church member who owns Quiznos and took Chris and I to lunch to discuss church recently. While there I still have to use the bathroom, though it won't be a completely successful trip (womanly reasons) so while they are preparing my salad, I use their bathroom. Time to flush...whoops, the toilet cloggs! (and all I did was pee!) So now have to go and tell prospective church member their toilet is clogged. You can imagine the embarrassment....so I don't eat my salad there - take it to go. Eat in driveway instead w/AC running b/c it's desert hot out and mosquitoes will eat me alive. Now I waste 1/4 of that expensive gas. I did have an invite to go to church member's house while son was home but I kept thinking, surely landlord will be faster than an hour.
8. 1 hr, 15 min later, 8:00, landlord calls, has key at office. 8:25 inside house, take dog out to bathroom and eat, use bathroom myself. Now I can't find dog. Go into extra bedroom where roof leaked (a month ago) and he's in the corner behind the file cabinet. Oh, great, is dog sick? No, he's wagging tail when I walk in. Oh....poor guy....Chris threw a dog treat back there this morning and he's been waiting all day to have it back. Not sure whose day was worse...mine or his. He saw me sitting in driveway for 1 1/2 hrs wanting that darn bone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home