Renewing My Mind

Monday, February 27, 2006

Facing Lent

On another note (from the post I just added below), I have been wrestling with what to give up for Lent - well, actually I know what to give up, I'm just not sure if I can. I plan to give up TV. Not entirely...I don't want to set myself up for 40 days of guilt because I keep breaking my promise. But I'm going to
reduce it drastically. And I have decided that part of the sacrifice of Lent should be about replacing your sacrifice with something holy.
So in the place of TV watching, I plan to read more, write more, connect with old friends AND new (what a challenge!), and exercise. It sounds like a lot of new things...but I watched a LOT of TV. I want you to hold me accountable and I plan to write about my struggles; actually I hope I will be writing more because of my struggles.
So I'm writing now because it is beginning to get dark, the entertainment unit is beckoning me to open it, Chris will not be home for several hours so I am ALONE and the silence is becoming maddening.
I know Lent has not started yet. But I feel the need to begin my discipline now. Why wait? So I will try to resist tonight. But thanks for being here for me when I need support.
By the way, I hope you take time to find a service to attend on Ash Wednesday (that's March 1). This was a tradition I completely missed out on by growing up in the Southern Baptist World of Texas and the Bible Belt. I promise that very close to you are several services going on all day on Wednesday - try your local Episcopal church for a real treat or the less threatening Methodist service if you need help. We should all be forced to spend at least one day a year being
reminded that we are but dust. And to dust we will return.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home