Renewing My Mind

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

What I was going to say...

I was going to write this blog:
Have you ever felt like you were two seconds too late?
Chris and I were in Winston last night running errands (we're getting a king sized bed (!!) tomorrow and we needed new sheets, yea!, solid sleep for Natalie!!), and as we were returning to my work parking lot to pick up my car, we saw the most amazing sunset. I mean, seriously, probably the most amazing one we've seen here in NC. I'm not sure you can beat a Texas sunset. Texas may be lacking in a lot of aesthetics but sunsets it's not. But this one was a top 5 for sure.
Anyway, it was behind us as we were traveling, lit up the whole sky. We stopped to take a picture, but it was late and dinner was still waiting so we pressed on away from the sunset towards my car, where we would turn out of the parking lot and in about 10 minutes be driving into the sunset. I kept thinking, if we could just hurry up, we'll drive into it the whole way home and then I can enjoy the sunset while getting somewhere at the same time. That shows how much I know about the sun and time. I think the sunset changes faster than seconds when it is slipping off the horizon and by the time we got my car and got on the road, it was pretty much gone. And all I could think about telling you was how I was two seconds too late (ok, a little more than that, but it sounds good). I kept thinking of how I shouldn't have taken as long at Target to look at sheets...THEN we would have caught the sunset. And it made me think about the weekend and what else I might have missed out on because I was "two seconds" too late. I was in a bad mood and criticized Chris and missed out on some time together. You get the point...I was thinking of all the times I've missed something amazing because I was doing the wrong thing.
But,
then I realized...
that's not the right blog to write. Because it shouldn't be about what I missed out on. It should be about what I DID get to experience. So I didn't get to drive home into the sunset, but at least I saw it. If I could learn to live my life in a state of thankfulness instead of regret, I think I could learn to be more like Christ.


Something to ponder over for my next blog, "How do you want to be remembered?"
I've been thinking about death again...Steve Erwin, the Crocodile Hunter, died this week, and that makes me really sad. Chris and I watched him all the time when we were first married and one year I taught geography on Australia and used his show for several lessons. Thinking of him reminds me of "those earlier days." So I'm sad for the passing of that time of my life, I'm sad for our loss of his life and excitement and enthusiasm for nature, but I'm also sad for his wife and young kids. And I see a lot of parallels between him and Kyle...they both died doing what they loved and left this world too early and taught us more than we will ever grasp. Anyway, it's got me thinking about what they will be remembered for and what I will be remembered for. Of course, that's a different question than how I WANT to be remembered. Think on it with me for a few days.

Final thought...if you haven't seen V for Vendetta, you need to. Maybe we can discuss together sometime soon. It's been in my mind all week, very powerful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home